Strawberry Distance Challenge (SDC) has been in the Plant City community for seven years and grown in popularity and choices. Last year we had nearly 500 runners, and our goal this year is to reach 1,000. The one-mile fun run for kids was our 2013 addition, and we are set for an 8K in 2014 if all goes as planned.
Over the last couple of years, we have redefined our goals and purpose. We’ve determined to make this a run open to any organization wishing to raise funds for youth in our community. Previously when we’ve marketed the SDC and dropped promotional cards at other 5K’s, we would come across schools and organizations trying to put together a successful run to raise funds for their cause. Because it takes several thousand dollars of fixed costs for such an event, many of those efforts lasted only one year and folded. It takes a lot of time, effort and money to put on an event, come up with an idea and then pull it off.
So our thoughts were to pull organizations and schools together and give them the opportunity to raise funds for their cause under the efforts of SDC. The SDC’s cause is to benefit The Youth Alliance in projects here in Central Florida. The Youth Alliance is a non-profit organization that does character ed, motivational, and anti-bully talks in schools. More info can be seen at theyouthalliance.com.
How it works:
- A webpage will be designed for each organization or group with your own logo, objectives and details on Strawberry Distance Challenge’s website
- Fundraising worksheets are created, either by yourself or by us if requested, for students to use for soliciting sponsors for the run/walk
- Each participant must register by paying an entry fee to SDC and sign a waiver required by the insurance company
- Students and participants then go out and get sponsors, and all monies raised through individual sponsorship goes to your organization.
- Group, corporate or company sponsorship is also available with a 70/30 split with SDC, meaning your organization will retain 70% of those profits and 30% will go to SDC to help with expenses of the event. The deadline for this sponsorship is November 1, 2013 so we can include them on our T-shirts.
- The following website will give you a glimpse of what we will customize for your project: http://grouprev.com/ashleyruns
We are approaching all local schools, youth groups and civic youth programs with this same opportunity. It’s a win-win, all while having a lot of fun and making money for your organization. Other perks include all participants receive a free T-shirt, medals for 1st-3rd place, and winners for each category receive a free Strawberry Festival admission ticket.
If interested, please contact me at 813.719.0244 or Mike@theyouthalliance.com.
** We have had a long-standing relationship with a great group of sponsors: Astin Farms, I-4 Power Equipment, New Generation Tees, The Strawberry Festival, TECO Energy, Jarrett Scott Ford, Southern Grass Masters, Focus Magazine and In The Field Magazine.